Traffic Safety

Traffic is a concern for every Sayreville resident. With over six hundred miles of local roads, the Traffic Safety Bureau is responsible for addressing traffic congestion, conducting enforcement of motor vehicle laws, and investigating serious accidents. But this is only a small part of the responsibility of this unit.

When new construction is proposed, this unit is responsible for reviewing the site plans and conducting traffic surveys so that government planning officials have a clear idea of what impact new construction will have on our local roads. The Traffic Bureau also trains and manages our staff of School Crossing Guards.

Officers assigned to this unit receive specialized training in advanced accident reconstruction and investigation and provide training in defensive driving techniques, DUI detection and investigation, highway safety, and child safety restraint installation. They are frequently called upon to conduct targeted enforcement in areas of the Borough that are the subject of complaints by residents.

You can reach the Traffic Safety Bureau at 732-525-5431 or 732-525-5429 or 732-525-5430.

Temporary Handicapped Parking Placards

To apply for a temporary parking placard:

Go to your local police station to get an application. You must have your doctor sign the form indicating that you require the placard. Return the completed application to the police department with a $4 check or money order payable to Motor Vehicle Commission upon payment, the police department will issue your temporary placard.

Temporary placards are is issued for six months, with one six-month renewal allowed.

Permanent Plates or Placard

How to Apply

To apply for plates or a placard, complete the Application for Vehicle License Plates and/or Placards and visit your local MVC agency or mail the application to:

  • NJMVC Special Plate Unit
    PO Box 015
    Trenton, NJ 08666-0015

A copy of the vehicle registration must be included with plate applications. Refer to the application checklist to avoid processing delays. There is no additional charge for handicapped plates.

Applicants without a license or non-driver identification card must prove identity by passing 6 Point ID Verification.

Note: Handicapped plates cannot be issued for vehicles owned by or leased to companies, organizations or groups.

Download the Application Instructions for more detailed information.